Monday, May 24, 2010

Last stop: 2010 UNW Seafair Trophy Race

Another terrific weekend of racing has come to an end. This Saturday I made the hour trek up to Monore to race with the northwest's other 1/8th scale club, Unlimiteds Northwest. The club put on a great race with about 25 drivers that showed up. After last weekends crash with my 1993 Miss Budweiser, I decided to pull out my 1986 Miss Budweiser Griffon and see what she could do. This was actually the first time I got a good chance to do some testing with this model as in the previous two times I was unable due to extreme conditions and motor problems.

Needless to say I was able to get in some much needed testing. I tried several prop combinations and learned a lot about the hull. Some sponson work needs to be done along with a long list of ideas with it. Right now the boat is sitting upside down in the shop for some "updates". I hope to have it ready for the next event out that I can make in June, hopefully with a better and faster ride.

I unfortunately was unable to take any video of the final heats as the battery died on my camera. John Olson was there however with his new model of the 1975 Weisfields. He was able to get a video of one of his races:




Kirk Maupin again showed dominance as he won for a third time this year with his new 1975 Atlas Van Lines. Paul Jackson however did give Kirk a run for his money, but ended up blowing his boat over on the last lap.

All in all it was a good day. I would have posted sooner, but I had to go straight from the race to work that night.

The next race for Newton Marine looks to be RCU's Rose Cup on the 13th of June. In between now and then I hope to get some work done on the Bubble Bud, and upload more photos to my smugmug site, which I will post updates for on here.











Damage to Paul Jackson's 1976 Olympia Beer after a tangle in the corner.

1 comment: