Sunday, June 13, 2010

2010 Rose Cup

The 5th race in the 2010 RCU racing season has concluded with an on going 4 race streak as Kirk Maupin again won the final heat in fashion with his blistering fast Atlas Van Lines. Held in Ellensburg, the weather gave us a nice day of sun and heat, making it a nice one for all the racers.

This race marked the first race in RCU with my model of the 1986 "bubble" Miss Budweiser. I made many modifications to the boat since I tested it earlier in May. The changes I made showed improvement in the hull, but gave me more questions to answer before it will become a show stopper. My day turned out to be a mediocre one, as I was only able to manage a 3rd place finish in the 2nd connie. This was by far from a successful day of racing, but it was fun to get back out to the races and away from the office. As they say, I am back to the drawing board with hopefully a more improved boat in two weeks.

The final heat turned out to be a barn burner, as it was anyones race to win. Dave Brandt made
a great start to give Kirk a run for his money, but Kirk had a slight edge at the start and did not look back. A great battle took place for 3rd place between Bill Brandt, Paul Jackson and John Olsen, but the rough water got the best of Bill and John, giving Paul 3rd place from the trailer position.

Official race results:
7A: Final
7B: 1st Connie
7C: 2nd Connie (typo, Chet Lepinski and David Newton should be reversed)


As the tradition goes, the race winner has to pick up all of the bouys, I am sure he does not mind.

I will post videos of the final heat and connies shortly, but for more photographs please visit my smugmug website. The next race is in two weeks back in Ellensburg for the President's Cup.

3 comments:

  1. The YouTube videos come up as Private?

    Thanks for posting them, just with I could see them!

    PakMan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry everyone, I accidently uploaded the videos as private for some reason. They are all open to public view and should be viewed without problems. Please let me know if anyone has any more problems viewing them!

    ReplyDelete